Monday, July 27, 2009

Tribute to the Blue Blankie

I was one of those Mum's that as soon as my kids were out (as in born) I was counting down the days to when they would be going to school. I have never really been a baby person, I don't know if that is because there was such a big gap between myself and younger sisters that the whole 'baby thing' lost it's appeal at a young age or what, but I just prefer older kids.

Well this was all before I had Orrin. I don't know what it is with him but I loved being pregnant with him and anyone that was around when I was pregnant with him knows it was no picnic. I loved the baby stage with him so much so that I created a total monster that wouldn't sleep unless I was holding him. I may be over analyzying myself here but I do have a theory. When Jakey was a baby he was in hospital alot. When Anna was a baby Jakey was still in hospital alot so I guess I missed out on your regular baby things with the older two and combined with knowing that Orrin was going to be my last I guess I just wanted to just have a baby that everything was normal. I absoloutely love being at home with him and dreading the day that I have to send him off to school.

Orrin has had a security blanket since he was a baby. When he first started to talk he called it "Kie" and now it is called "Blue Blankie". He mostly just sleeps with it these days but he always drags it around with him when he first gets up in the morning and when he is tired during the day.

Tonight before bed I was reading him a story on the couch. His 'Blue Blankie' was right by us and after the story I asked him to go hop into bed and I will come and tuck him in. As he was going to bed I noticed Blue Blankie was still on the couch so I called out "Ooops you forgot this!" to which he replied very matter-of-factly "I don't need it, I can just sleep with my Wiggles blanket" (he has a Wiggles duvet) I just stared at him and said "You don't want Blue Blankie anymore?" "No I'm just big now". I must admit I felt tinge of what I am dreading when I send him to school for the first time. I went to tuck him in and I asked him why he doesn't want his Blue Blankie anymore. He told me this "well today my Dad said that when I'm bigger I can use my chainsaw and cut wood with him". Well that was it for me and I just started bawling in front of the poor kid. My baby is feeling ready to move on so I should be too!

Here are some photos of Orrin and his Blue Blankie from over the years....

UPDATE: I checked on Orrin and he has his blankie in bed with him...not quite ready I guess...PHEW!

 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Money well spent on that Blankie and I guess what a blankie is to Orrin is what a 'donkey' is to Sarah!