Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Dorothy the Dinosaur Show

May 6th was The Dorothy the Dinosaur Show. To be honest I got tickets (for the 5 of us) for Orrin's benefit. He is a HUGE Wiggles fan and I thought that he would love it. So I sent Jake to school that morning (Anna is home schooling right now...more about that later) with the intent to pick him up at noon, go to Wetaskiwin where Jesse is working right now to pick him up and then into Edmonton for the 4pm show. Well I got into the car to get Jake and my battery was as dead as a door nail! So I called Jesse in a panic and he suggested I boost it (ME???) with our portable car battery charger. Well I was convinced I would blow all of us up, but he assured me everything would be just fine. Finally I got the car started and off we went. Despite our rocky begining we actually made it to the show with 10 minutes to spare. Our friends Jacky and Ryan Layton and their two girls Claire and Madeline were also going to the concert. The plan was to meet Dorothy before the show. She ( and The Wiggles) do meet and greets for kids with disabilities so Jacky and I had organised to be able to do this with someone from The Wiggles staff, but it all fell through. Oh well, we thought, we and the kids will still have a great time.

'Dodgy', would be the word I would use to describe The Dorothy the Dinosaur Show but Jake had an absolute blast and I am sure he would have been able to sit through another show back-to-back. It was very small. Captain Feathersword (well not the real one, but he did good), Don the Postman, Wags, Henry, 2 fairies and of course Dorothy were it for the cast, so as you can imagine it was pretty small-time (but so were the Wiggles when they first began). Orrin really could have slept through the whole thing for the enthusiasm he had for it. He just kept waiting for The Big Red Car and Murray to make their appearance so I suppose he is a true Wiggles fan and really doesn't care for any of their supporting cast! So even though my intent was for Orrin's benefit, the reaction of Jake was well worth the trip.After the show Jacky and Ryan invited us to their place for supper. It was a really fun night. It is nice to have friends to socialize with that also have a special needs child. Even though our kids problems are different, we have an unspoken understanding of each others situations.



4 comments:

Jacky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacky said...

Sorry, made too many spelling mistakes in the last comment. Here goes again!

At least Orrin got a Wags hat. Hopefully that made up for it a little bit! It was so fun to have you guys over. We'll have to do it again, minus the dodgy concert. :)

Colette said...

I took my daughter to the concert as well. She enjoyed the show, but it would have been a better experience if the show had started earlier at say, 1 PM. I could tell a lot of kids were missing their naps that day, LOL!

I hear The Wiggles are planning some Canadian dates sometime this summer or fall. Hope Edmonton is a tour stop. :)

lilaussiemum said...

Me too Colette. If you haven't had a chance to see them as yet, I highly recomend it. We went last Spring, drove from Edmonton to lethbridge for it and it was completely worth the trip. The kids and my husband and I had a blast!

Haha thanks Jacky...ditto!